Skip to main content

More Malaysians are coming~!(^^)

So, recently I've heard some news that my juniors are coming to Semyung.
Finally!! a familiar language are coming to this small town of Jecheon. People are gonna freak out seeing more Malaysians and girls in hijab walking around town. Yippee~!

I've also heard that some of the decisions hasn't been finalized yet.

Coming from my experience, I know that during this time some people are going to change their mind at the very last minute. Which caused me being the only student from my campus that came here last semester.

All I can say is that, I know that most people around you would ask about the difficulty to communicate with the locals in korea. It is hard to find locals who can speak at least basic english here, which will force you to learn the native language whether you like it or not. Then again that is actually the best thing about learning the language in it's own country. When you are surrounded with everybody talking in their native tongue unconciously you will be able to pick up the language in just a month. At least it's better than learning the korean language for 5 years in Malaysia.

Another issue would be for Muslim students. Korea are famous for their Soju and endless supply of pigs, which is the things we are forbid to drink and eat. For girls, just think it as a chance to lose that extra weight while coming here. It's true! Since we will be always cautious about the food we eat, you will be able to monitor your diet. But don't worry! They still got rice here, and a lot of it! Which is also our staple food, but just in case you guys can't live without your beef or chicken, try to bring along a lot of Brahim's with you. I know I need mine, which is why I brought 8kg of Brahims with me last month. Other than that food supply won't be huge problem here, as long as you keep an eye on what you put in your mouth.


Oh yeah, another issue some people would be worried about is "spending". For me, the best thing about Semyung is that it is far from Seoul and far from the big city which helps me to be less tempted to go shopping. In Jecheon you won't worry about spending money to travel from one spot to another using the public transport. Everything is in walking distance here. You wanna eat? The pizza place is just outside the gate. You wanna see the lake? Just walk around the street outside the University. They even have a mini theme park here. You wanna go hiking? There's a trail to the mountain just behind our Administration Building. You wanna take beautiful pictures? Semyung and Jecheon are surrounded with beautiful scenery. But if you still wants to go shopping for good stuff, you can just take the bus for 10minutes to the nearest town.


So far I really enjoyed my stay in Semyung. everybody was kind and friendly to me. They were very curious about my hijab though. Which is kinda fun to try to explain to them why the females wear them. You never get that a lot in Malaysia, because almost everybody wears them. It also kinda helps you to re-gain your faith. Our lifestyle as a muslim in Malaysia was set in stone, and we don't even need to think about it a lot. It's our lifestyle, and we all do what we do as a muslim every hour and every day. But in here, people are not familiar with our responsibility. We have to always remind each other about our prayer time, about our limits and so on. Which will make you appreciate your home town more than you think you would. In Malaysia you will be like trying to avoid eating Nasi Kandar or reduce your Nasi lemak and Roti Canai habits. But when you come here, you shall beg for it every day. I know I did. and I'm still dreaming about my mom's Lempeng Pisang every morning.


Other than all of that, if you guys had been dreaming about staying in four seasons country and that you love traveling, you should definitely come.

Just keep an open mind that if you've decided to come, this little experience you'll have here will make a huge difference to your future.

Malaysia Boleh!

Can't wait to meet you guys~(^-^)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What 2012 meant to me

At the beginning of this year there was only one thing I was excited about, my first internship. It was located at Cyberjaya , and seeing that commuting back and forth to my parents home will be a big hassle there's only one thing I have to do. Rent out a place of my own. I know that within the western culture having to live in your own place after college is a big deal. Well, not so much for most Malaysians. In my opinion, having your own place would either mean you got a huge sack of cash hidden somewhere, or you have a stable job that provide you more sack of cash. In other words, people with a lot of cash. On my first day of my internship, my colleague offered me a room in their terrace. Apparently no one was using the room anyway so it only make sense for me to rent it. Plus I don't even have to worry about driving since we can carpool together. The room didn't come with a bed but one of them lent me an extra mattress she got from her old neighbour-friend that move

The Dormitory

This is what my dormitory looks like. It's almost like a real apartment. Quite small, but for a college student it's very comfortable, with a private bathroom. What I like about it is that it got all the basics that I need. They got self service washing machines, but for the dryer we have to pay 1 usd for each use. They also have a huge gym room, and a computer room you can use at any time. The microwave and the water dispenser is a plus.

Happy New Year Malaysia!!